Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mayflower Diary (August)

August 21, 1620

Father just got a letter from John Alden, whoever that is, saying that they were getting together a group of people to jump on board a ship and head for Virginia. They plan to us a map that was once John Smith's. I hear he was real fond of himself. But that's what you expect from an explorer, innit.
I hope father does not make us leave England. I have never been over the ocean before. I have heard stories of ship wrecks on the way to the new land. Ghostly stories they were. Of being smashed against rocks and being pulled down to the depths of the sea.
I doubt he will listen to my complaints though. He has his mind pretty darn set on leaving. He hates the Church of England. He says that he should be able to have any religion he wants. I really don't no what to say about that. After mum died, I haven't been really keen with the lord. I mean why would He make her die. She didn't do anything wrong. Maybe I did something. I have blamed myself ever since her death.

~Constance Hopkins

No comments:

Post a Comment