December 29, 1620
I am laying on my sleeping mat in the corner of our cabin. The night is here so I am writing this by the firelight from our lamp. My stomach is grumbling from the lack of food. It feels like there is a massive hole where my chest should be because the air is so cold. Each Breath is like a growing fire in my throat. On top of that, Giles has a disastrous cold and is confined to his mat. I've laid over him piles of sheets in an attempt to stay warm. His head is hot but his cheeks pale. I am dreadfully worried for him. After Mum died and Father married that awful Elizabeth, I have only had Giles to talk to. I don't know how I could live without him.
The Indians have been coming over a lot lately with corn and meat. For that our men are trading them weapons. A certain Indian, Squanto, has shown us how to catch fish efficiently and how to grow corn. He also helped our men to navigate to places we have not been before. I quite like the Indians. Father has a few doubts about them, but I feel that they are strong, kind, and wise people and that they should be respected. A week ago a younger boy, about my age, came to me and gave to me a colorful necklace of white shells and what looked like abalone. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. When I held it up, the light shone on it like a bunch of little stars. Unfortunately he gave me no name to call him by. I will secretly call him star-dancer because when you look into his eyes, they twinkle like stars and because I have seen him dancing in the wood. I have been working on a bag for him for I see he carries things in his hands. I hope he will like it. If he gets it. I haven't seen him since our first encounter...
The weather here is getting worse and worse. This morning, when I went out to fetch a pail from water from the trough, I found it covered with a think layer of ice. And the ground is covered in white frost. Rain and snow storms are coming more often now; about once every few days. What's more, our food store is nearing its end and we still haven't seen the winter's worst yet. I am doubtful that our food will last. Especially if the man with the big beard keeps stealing some for himself, of which I saw as I passed by the storage bin. Though I do not tell anyone, for surely he would punish me greatly.
Fingers numb now. I'll sleep...
The Indians have been coming over a lot lately with corn and meat. For that our men are trading them weapons. A certain Indian, Squanto, has shown us how to catch fish efficiently and how to grow corn. He also helped our men to navigate to places we have not been before. I quite like the Indians. Father has a few doubts about them, but I feel that they are strong, kind, and wise people and that they should be respected. A week ago a younger boy, about my age, came to me and gave to me a colorful necklace of white shells and what looked like abalone. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. When I held it up, the light shone on it like a bunch of little stars. Unfortunately he gave me no name to call him by. I will secretly call him star-dancer because when you look into his eyes, they twinkle like stars and because I have seen him dancing in the wood. I have been working on a bag for him for I see he carries things in his hands. I hope he will like it. If he gets it. I haven't seen him since our first encounter...
The weather here is getting worse and worse. This morning, when I went out to fetch a pail from water from the trough, I found it covered with a think layer of ice. And the ground is covered in white frost. Rain and snow storms are coming more often now; about once every few days. What's more, our food store is nearing its end and we still haven't seen the winter's worst yet. I am doubtful that our food will last. Especially if the man with the big beard keeps stealing some for himself, of which I saw as I passed by the storage bin. Though I do not tell anyone, for surely he would punish me greatly.
Fingers numb now. I'll sleep...
~Constance Hopkins
No comments:
Post a Comment