
October 24, 1620
I don't think I can stand this much longer.The pain in my back is like a thousand daggers stabbing through my skin. We have been sleepin on hard cold wood for over a month; and you could hardly call it sleepin! I haven't seen a good rest since we left England. This new world had better be close to heaven after all this sufferin. They're makin ' us eat rock hard bread and dried meat that is covered with a thin layer of gray mold. I fear I will get sick or even worse: Scurvy!
I don't think I can stand this much longer.The pain in my back is like a thousand daggers stabbing through my skin. We have been sleepin on hard cold wood for over a month; and you could hardly call it sleepin! I haven't seen a good rest since we left England. This new world had better be close to heaven after all this sufferin. They're makin ' us eat rock hard bread and dried meat that is covered with a thin layer of gray mold. I fear I will get sick or even worse: Scurvy!
Pa has been talking to his beloved git that there's a man aboard with it. I pray his soul go in peace. I hear it is a bloody miserable disease. You get covered with dark spots and all of your teeth fall out. I actually wouldn't mind if some of my teeth fell out for they have been giving me some pain.
I wish they would let us up on deck. The smell is horrid down here. Each breath makes you want to return it on the floor.
I think I'll go the "sleep" now. It's been a rough day (as any other) and I think a wink will do me good.
I wish they would let us up on deck. The smell is horrid down here. Each breath makes you want to return it on the floor.
I think I'll go the "sleep" now. It's been a rough day (as any other) and I think a wink will do me good.
Come her sleep. I could use some...
~Constance Hopkins
No comments:
Post a Comment