Monday, April 4, 2011

Langston Hughes Poetry Response

     "The Negro Speaks of Rivers", by Langston Hughes, is about how ancient and contemporary civilization grows around rivers and how the black man's soul has always been part of the rivers. This poem is spoken through the colored person.
     Langston Hughes uses repetition in repeatedly in this poem. He says "I've known rivers" three times. He also says "I bathed...I built...I looked...I heard." These are all examples of repetitions. There are also a few cases of figurative language. He sates the simile, "like the rivers" twice. He also said,"muddy bosom turn all golden in the sunset." In the second line there is a repeating "o" sound. This is an example of Assonance.
     I liked this poem because of the repetition and imagery. I can sort of connect to this poem because we are learning about slavery in school. We are learning about where African-Americans came from and how they got here. Learning about that helps me understand poems like this a little bit more; where it is from the black person's perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment