Friday, November 13, 2009

In the Beginning

" Mother, are we there yet?" I asked. I was getting more and more eager to reach the coast that was said could supply a safe trip south. We had been walking for days but we still hadn't reached the "water path" as I called it.
My tribe had left my birthplace in search of the "new land" when I was only two. After passing through the land that connected this land and my own, we lived happily in the new land for five more years. We had plenty of food and lots of shelter. My brother, Taluk, and I could play it the grasses and catch the green bugs that basked in the sun on the hot rocks by our hut. We were happy...
But of course our good fortune could not last. Other tribes started migrating there and soon there was not enough game and space for everyone. We decided to head south in hope of a better life.
I gave my mother a poke and pleaded again. Mother sighed and pushed her long brown hair out of her face. Her beautiful eyes looked down on me and she said, " Sayna, Sayna. You must be patient. Our long and suffering journey will not go unrewarded by Aqueena the sea spirit." She sighed again. " Aqueena will present us with good fortune and courage.
I hung my head. I knew she would say something about this. I just wanted to get away from these rocky mountains. They had caused me a great deal of pain. The rocks had cut my feet, turning them pink and making them swell. The cold nights had made sleep run away from me.
I scrambled around a boulder and stepped into a shadow. I looked up to see what was hiding the sun and saw a steep rock slope as tall as three men standing on top of each other. My heart filled with dread. Looked to my left...more cliff. I looked to my right...even more cliff! There was simply no way but up. On any other day I would have happily accepted a steep climb so I could race Taluk to the top. Not today. I was tired of walking and wanted to lie down, but if I did that I might get left behind and get lost.
I looked up again. Five men were already on their way up and one was almost to the top.
Despite my discomfort , I hobbled over the the base of the the wall. I planted one foot on the lowest foothold and started climbing. It took me forever just to get halfway. When I was almost to the top, I looked up just in time to see the girl in front of me reach it. Her eyes got as big as stones and her mouth dropped to her knees. I scrambled up to see what she was looking at. I pulled myself up and looked out.
Oh! The Sea! It was everything I had ever imagined. The wide expanse of blue stretched on for ever and ever. The sun shimmered down on the ocean like a million stars. Yes, we made it! We finally made it!

great s tory, I love the flashback and cultural details like the sun hiding and "water path" -Tyler Vack 11/11/09 8:19 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment